Saturday, March 25, 2006

End of term and end of an era

This week saw the last lectures in term 2: Virtual Theology (Level 3), Themes in Christian Theology (Level M) and Christian Faith in History (Level 1) have each in their own way challenged me, and I'm happy to look back on a busy term well completed. So I spent the rest oif this week at work compiling the paperwork for next term's modules: Elements of Christian Worship (Level 1) and Theology & Local Communities (Level M). There's always a rather breathless fear attached to a new module, which spurs me to enormous efforts to get it up and running smoothly. I always so very badly want students to be as excited about a new topic as I am.

This week also saw what will probably be the last reunion of the class of 98. The year I started my PhD study, there was only one other student. He is now coming to the end of his writing up, and it was rather pleasing to discover that our year group is the only one that will have had a 100% completion rate, with no drop-outs. This is partly, of course, because we've both worked jolly hard, but I like to think it's also because we've supported one another through the difficult processes of research and writing up.

I'm also getting to grips with the module I'm teaching at another institution in May, and I'm re-writing a distance learning undergrad module for yet another, so I'm in a very creative period right now. What doesn't make it into a new course ends up in the bin, though not one as aptly labelled as this I found behind Broomhill Methodist Church in Sheffield a couple of years ago.

At the back of my mind, I have a research project cooking, which involves applying some of my PhD findings in a different environment and trying to insert some Christology into the Trinitarian stuff I was doing then. But first I have some serious work to do networking, because I could use some funding for this. There is the possibility of some funded work on e-learning in the air, and if that materialises, I may have to put all else on hold for a while.

I received the notification that I have completed all the formal stages to graduate in Summer now, so it looks as if I shall be getting doctored in mid-July alongside a popular and very gorgeous local actor who is being awarded an honorary DLitt at the same ceremony. I'm not sure if the kids' enthusiasm for my ceremony is about me or about him - I fear the latter.

It's been a good week in terms of play as well as work. I've had company for a couple of evenings in, which is an unusual treat. I lost custody of a painting recently, and I had a day out and discovered a fabulous Tapas restaurant in Manchester while buying a picture to replace it.

No comments: